I don’t have many rules for life as most times I am just flopping through it like a magikarp and praying things will work out. One rule that I do have for blogs and cookbooks is this: if I’ve tried 2 recipes and I don’t like them, I never bake from it again. They either just don’t work for me (sorry Donna Hay) or we have very different tastes. For blogs where I have pushed this rule and made more recipes, it’s never been a happy ending. Blogs that past this one rule has usually led me to fall in love with them where I will turn to them time and time again for trusted recipes.
One of these blogs that fall into this category is Iron Chef Shellie – beautiful photography and styling AND recipes. What’s not to love? These chocolate and potato chip cookies I found from her blog and I couldn’t imagine how they wouldn’t work – C definitely had his doubts before I baked them but ate 3 of them afterwards (I think he liked them). I actually love these cookies so much that I baked and shot them all in the same day. Usually I avoid doing this as I get quite tired but I felt so inspired that I wanted to just smash it out.
Story of my life but you know you’ve baked something good when you proceed to eat 5 of these bad boys straight out of the oven. Can you blame me? Biting into a crispy exterior and then into a chewy, fudgy cookie center that is studded with chocolate chips and potato chips. It doesn’t help that this recipe makes 2 dozen so cookies are way too easily on hand to eat.
Chocolate and Potato Chip Cookies
Makes 24 cookies
140g unsalted butter, softened
110g caster sugar
110g light brown sugar
1½ tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate soda
½ tsp salt
125g plain flour
95g bread flour
190g dark chocolate chips
1 cup plain potato chips, crushed
Sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
- Add baking powder, bicarb soda, salt and flours in a bowl and use a hand whisk to mix together.
- In another bowl, cream together butter and sugars with an electric mixer.
- Mix in egg and vanilla into creamed butter mixture.
- Mix in baking powder, bicarb soda, salt and flours into creamed butter mixture until everything is mixed well.
- Add in potato chips and chocolate chips and stir in by hand (I used a spoon).
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- On a lined baking tray, scoop out cookies using an ice cream scoop and place them 5cm apart.
- Lightly sprinkle with sea salt flakes.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until edges are lightly golden.
- Rest cookies for 5 minutes on the tray and then move onto a wire rack with a spatula to cool fully afterwards.
- Store in an airtight container.