McDonald’s Macarons, Adelaide

McDonald’s macarons – controversial I know. How many times have I ranted about hollow shells, overpriced pieces of crap (pardon my French) but now McDonald’s can produce these babies to be at least consistently average – these should be the bare minimum standard for Adelaide macarons. At $2 for one or $10 for 6 ($1.70 each) – that’s damn cheap and affordable to satisfy mad cravings. I’ve actually had 14 macarons in a mere 3 days, enough said ;)

McDonald's Macarons

McDonald's Macarons

So what does an apple pie macaron actually taste like? The cream filling had an artificial apple taste with a very strong cinnamon flavour which sadly was not to my liking. However the shells were not hollow and had a crisp crunch – a bit more biscuit than a macaron.

McDonald's Apple Pie Macarons

Apple Pie Macaron

The passionfruit macaron shell by itself tasted like wheat but when eaten with the filling it made it my second favourite flavour. The filling had a buttery cream with passionfruit seeds mixed in – biting through the seeds released the tasty sweet passionfruit flavour.

McDonald's Passionfruit Macarons

Passionfruit Macaron

Ladies and gents, this is my favourite macaron flavour! The cappuccino macaron reminded me of kopico (coffee candy) – light sweet coffee cream filling mmm, such a delight!

McDonald's Cappucino Macarons

Cappuccino Macaron

The blueberry macaron just tasted like bubblegum zooper dopers – cream based filling had a subtle bubblegum sweetness :)

McDonald's Blueberry Macarons

Blueberry Macaron

The chocolate macaron had a light, mild chocolate filling but I found it to be a little artificial.

McDonald's Chocolate Macarons

Chocolate Macaron

Mmm mango, sweet delicious mango. It was toots a mango icecream but in macaron form with lovely hints of mango sweetness in the filling.

McDonald's Mango Macarons

Mango Macaron

I actually had no idea this was a raspberry macaron as it reminded me of redskins. The slight tartness cutting through the mild redskin flavour made it quite tasty.

McDonald's Raspberry Macarons

Raspberry Macaron

Even taking photos my mind was going: “wow this is a lot of effort for Maccas.” I couldn’t knock the scepticism out of me until I tried them and boy, I was surprised. For macaron snobs out there – McDonald’s macarons are much heavier and sweeter. There is no melt in your mouth element where it is impossible to tell the transition from shell to filling. However, I am not here to crucify these poor macarons – I love how they reminded me of sweet things I ate as a child and for me to even find somewhere that I would actually go back to is saying much more than words could.

Food: 3/5
Service: N/A
Atmosphere: N/A

McDonald's on Urbanspoon

21 comments for “McDonald’s Macarons, Adelaide

1. October 16, 2013 at 8:47 am

Great work! I haven’t had a chance to try McDonald’s Macs. But agree, for the price they appear decent enough!

• I Only Eat Desserts
      October 16, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Thanks on the chopping board :) Oh you need to try them! They’re actually not too bad for a macaron. I’ve had far worse in Adelaide – these are actually quite tasty!

• Shri!
      February 13, 2014 at 10:34 pm

please don try them, its horrible! but better than gloria jeans!

• February 15, 2014 at 11:27 pm

oh no :( I’ve had a few off ones but the majority of the time I found them not too bad, considering they are made by maccas :P

2. October 17, 2013 at 9:42 am

I enjoyed reading this post Bernie! I haven’t actually had the opportunity to try these as I was leaving to Japan when they were slowly getting introduced. I’m looking forward to late night mac cravings that I can actually afford. And expensive macarons don’t always mean nice either. Great photos too <3

• I Only Eat Desserts
      October 18, 2013 at 4:23 am

Thank you for the kind comments Aki :D Haha yeh I think they’re at most Maccas now – even the one down my house, so dangerous that they’re so easily accessible :P Yes that is so true about expensive macarons in Adelaide – most times I found that the more expensive, the more crap they actually are. I’m expecting a lot if I have to fork out a lot.

3. Debra Moncrieff
    February 12, 2014 at 10:54 pm

The coffee one’s are by far the nicest in my humble opinion ;)

• February 13, 2014 at 10:14 am

Mine too – I always get the coffee one :3 the new candy cane flavour is quite good as well, I liked the sugar pearls on them

4. Ann
    February 19, 2014 at 10:22 pm

I’ve heard that a lot of cafes buy in their macarons from China. I can’t really imagine Maccas baking their own, but I might be wrong!

5. kirra
    August 22, 2014 at 7:37 pm

The apple pie is my absolute favourite! Im very pregnant and they are my sweet little treat! So good! Although im no macaron expert i think theyre delish

• August 22, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Yay! I’m glad to hear you enjoy them~ My fav is the cappuccino :D

6. Lisa
    March 31, 2015 at 10:10 am

The McDonalds macarons can be hit or miss. Apple pie was my favourite :( Ask for them “frozen”.

• April 1, 2015 at 9:34 am

Agreed, their new flavours are actually not bad with a few that I’m not a fan of – not sure if that’s because I got a dud one :P

7. Helen Curtis
    March 31, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Hey, these macarons are amazing! My treat is a large cappucino and one (okay, two on a good day) macarons!

• April 1, 2015 at 9:36 am

That sounds like a lovely treat – surprisingly maccas coffee is not bad too! Thank you again for the chocolate macaron yesterday, it was delicious! Makes me want more now haha :3

8. September 29, 2015 at 2:01 am

I never knew that McD sell Macarons, nice selection

• September 29, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Haha I know! I was quite shocked to see macarons in McDonalds but surprisingly they tasted not too bad XD

9. Colin Lawson
    October 18, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Bought the same at mcdonalds in Bruges Belgium for €2 better value for average quality

• October 21, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Wow didn’t know you could get them in Belgium but with France so close you could do a day trip for some proper ones ;)