The Lion Hotel, North Adelaide

Food is something very subjective – I used to want a food blog where they told me squarely what they thought and with a leap of faith I hoped we may be aligning food soul mates. Well I hope I don’t lose some friends along the way here but some people are made for fine dining and I am definitely not one of those people – not sure if it’s something like wine where as you get older your tastebuds become more refined/you become tasty (maybe decant me in a couple of decades). I thought the entertainment book was for The Lion Hotel Pub – nope it’s for the restaurant next door (C was in a panda shirt – we’re classy like that).

No matter how many fancy names and dressings you put on it a steak is just a steak, tasty but still a steak. The creamy mash potato was soft and smooth like butter which led to love at first sight. Tomato chutney had a chilli zing but was overpowered by the meaty-ness that is steak. One thing that annoys me about fine dining is that salad costs $10 – basically green salad with vinegar and pepper, at least give me a tomato or cucumber. Wishing BYO salad was an option.

IMGP4026

Coorong Black Angus Scotch Fillet with Creamy Mash, Peppercorn Sauce and Tomato Chutney ($38.90)

C’s dish looked and tasted divine (why does he always get the pretty things?). Biting through the tender, fatty pork belly with it’s crispy crackling top, hints of flavour from the sweet yoghurt cubes and crunchy black cabbage was a play on the tastebuds. Oh and let’s not forget the soft ribs that just rolled off the bones.

IMGP4023

Murray Valley Pork Belly and Rib with Parsnip Puree, Black Cabbage, Coffee and Yoghurt ($35.90)

Lovely dishes with some tasty food but it didn’t blow me away – especially the price tag. I want the wind to be knocked out of me darlings!

Food: 3/5
Service: 3.5/5
Atmosphere: 3.5/5 – lovely atmosphere but wish I was better dressed for the occasion ;)

The Lion restaurant on Urbanspoon

6 comments for “The Lion Hotel, North Adelaide

1. August 20, 2013 at 11:49 am

The hotel has won many awards I think so I guess the price tag reflect that a little bit. Anyway, I wanted to try this place for a long time but after reading your review, I’d go probably not. If the food is only ordinary but nothing super special, the price tag is high then. LOL

The other thing is, your palate can be trained to be mature LOL, that’s what I do hoho :P

• I Only Eat Desserts
      August 22, 2013 at 10:04 am

The food was tasty but not $40-50 worth of awesome. It’s one of those places I wouldn’t recommend or even go back to myself – so good call on not going, saving one persons money at a time :)

What’s your secret to training a mature palate? I need to have training for wine … I only like dessert wines or just anything sweet :D

• August 22, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Oh, in terms of training, it’s a ridiculously long process and basically you have to taste so many wines to remember the descriptors. I used to soak the descriptive items, eg strawberry , blackcurrant etc, in red or white and taste to remember each one of them. … I can give a lecture on this lol

• I Only Eat Desserts
          August 25, 2013 at 5:24 am

woah that does sound like some hardcore training … maybe give me a few years. although some good news is that I’m moving on from my dessert wines to white wine, I think that’s a good sign :)

• August 25, 2013 at 2:14 pm

That is a great news! I personally think dessert wines are too strong for me. Whites and reds are my go! LOL

Hope you will enjoy some good whites as well as your dessert wines. Which dessert wine/s do you like the most? I love the noble series from d’Arenberg and grand & great grand father from penfolds. Others I had were either too strong or too sweet. Any suggestions?

• I Only Eat Desserts
            August 28, 2013 at 10:07 am

Haha I’m probably the worse person to ask for any recommendation for drinks – feed me anything sweet and I’ll love it, the sweeter the better imo. I’m a totally dud gauge for drink recommendations XD I usually drink moscato or whatever a friend recommends so I usually don’t know what it is. I need to try out your favourites – I’m heading to d’arenberg for lunch this Saturday so I’ll toots get a glass from the noble series :)