Taiho-An, Kyoto

Uji is the capital of green tea in Japan and one of the places that I visited was the Taiho-an tea house. You can experience a traditional Japanese tea ceremony for only 500 Yen ($6 AUD) – what a bargain. You need to buy your ticket from the visitor center right across from Taiho-An before you can enter.

Taiho-An Green Tea Ceremony Taiho-An Green Tea Ceremony Taiho-An Green Tea Ceremony

The ceremony goes for about half an hour while I sat on the tatami floors in seiza (正座). Believe me, it hurt but I didn’t want to be soft like S. She gave us a traditional Japanese sweet and it had to be eaten first to offset the bitterness of the matcha (powdered green tea).

Taiho-An Green Tea Ceremony

While we were eating, the kimono-clad women started preparing the matcha. I can understand and appreciate why a tea ceremony is called an art now. Her movements were so precise and graceful from adding the hot water to the matcha to mixing it with the bamboo whisk.

Taiho-An Green Tea Ceremony

The matcha was hot and bitter with a sweet aftertaste. It is the most amazing green tea I’ve ever tasted, converting me into a matcha addict now.

Taiho-An Green Tea Ceremony

Highly recommended especially since you can experience something so traditional and quintessentially Japanese at a completely reasonable price.

Address

1-5 Uji-tougawa Uji City, Kyoto

6 comments for “Taiho-An, Kyoto

1. Vanessa
    November 9, 2013 at 1:35 am

Hello!

Were there a lot of customers when you went there? I’m just wondering if I need to call for reservation just in case. I’ll be coming in late November.

• I Only Eat Desserts
      November 9, 2013 at 4:24 am

Hi there vanessa :)

Nah there were not much customers at all – we only waited about 5 minutes as there were others already in the tea ceremony.
      Hope you have a wonderful time in Uji and tell me how it goes! I’m pretty sure I passed out in a matcha coma that day haha.
      Thanks heaps for stopping by :)

2. Andrina
    July 11, 2015 at 10:04 pm

I followed your recommendation and visited this tea house on my trip to Japan. It was awesome! Definitely one of the highlights of my trip. Thank you for such great advice :)

• July 13, 2015 at 6:06 pm

I’m so happy to hear you had a great time here – this was one of my most memorable moments too :D How good was that matcha? Did you get a chance to explore more of Uji? The matcha desserts here were the best I’ve ever tasted :)

3. Priya
    March 11, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Hi,

How do I get there from Kyoto?

• March 15, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Hi Priya,

Probably best to check Google Maps as they can map your route. You’ll need to take a train as it isn’t in central Kyoto.