Macarons in Adelaide (and Beyond)

I tried my first macaron in Hong Kong in 2009 at Jean-Paul Hevin, it was amazing and oh so yummy. Thanks to Masterchef the macaron phase hit Australia in 2010 and so many little stores were popping up selling macarons in Adelaide. For the past few years I’ve tried so many stores but am yet to find one that I love in Adelaide.

Adelaide

McDonald Macarons

It is now 2013 as I update this document and from all my years of suffering, we finally have something average and consistent in Adelaide. Presenting itself in the form of Maccas macarons – these babies ain’t bad but don’t expect too much from them (click here to read more about each macaron flavour).

McDonald's Macarons

Devour Dessert Bar

They do a great job with the macarons and have new flavours that I’m dying to try out (think redskins, grape hubba bubba and sour apple mmm). My second visit to Devour gave me a chance to try these crazy flavours – check out my review by clicking here. Bottom line – unimpressed with their hollow shells.

Peanut butter, cookies and cream, red-skin and grape hubba bubba macarons

The Mac Factory

The only place in Adelaide that has a store dedicated to macarons. I’ve been here many times but I just end up buying a box of salted caramels. To be honest, all the flavours taste the same after a while. They do have a small bookshop called the book nook at the back full of cookbooks where you can pretty much find most of the books you’re looking for.

Mac Factory Macarons

Mulots Pâtisserie

I felt it was more of a hit and miss with this one. Some of the macarons tasted a bit dry/hard/stale while others were the way you wanted it. The fillings were quite lovely though.

Mulots Pâtisserie

Callum Macarons

Macarons by Callum (remember that guy from Adelaide on masterchef) produced some macarons and sold them in Providore, Adelaide Central Market when the Masterchef/Macaron craze was high. I’m not sure if it’s available anymore as I did not bother to check it out again. Sorry, but this failed to impress me and was by far one of the worst macarons I’ve ever tasted. I struggled to even get a decent shot because the macarons were not very pretty ….

Callum's Macarons Masterchef

The Aviary Dessert Kitchen

I’ve only been to the Aviary once and I didn’t enjoy it too much. The food didn’t have that homely, comfy feeling and the excessive amount paid for the small portion of dessert was a turnoff. The macarons were ok where the packaging was quite pretty.

The Aviary macarons

Herbees Cafe

Seen these types of macaron’s before? I think I have too. Farmgate Providore (also in Harndorf for $3.80 each) and the macaron place in Chinatown stock the same type, most likely they get it from the same place. I brought 5 for $12 at Herbees Cafe and although they look pretty, I felt they tasted too dry and artificial. The vanilla one literally tasted like plastic.

macarons

Pastille Petite Desserts

She used to run a small store in the Rundle St Markets, however she closed up shop to move to the US a yr ago. Her macarons were quite nice and delicious. Another plus was that they were only $1.50.

Pastille Petite Desserts

Strawberry, Vanilla, Chocolate and Passionfruit

Chateau Blanc Macarons

Who said macarons from Woolies couldn’t taste alright? Cheap and tasting alright for those with a macaron craving whose on a budget, check out more info about them here. Now that we have Maccas macarons I would go for those and avoid the Chateau Blanc macarons.

Chateau Blanc Macarons

Dolce & Co

My second visit to Dolce & Co gave me the chance to finally try these babies out, but my final verdict of their macarons is that they suck. Expensively priced at $3 each for small, HOLLOW macarons. I will not stand for this. If you are gonna to sell macarons at the same price of Herme and Laduree, they better be up to scratch and have the basic common decency of not being hollow.

Dolce & Co Matcha and Sesame Macarons

Felici Espresso Bar
For some strange reason the first couple of times I had a macaron here it actually tasted quite nice but then it went a vertical downhill fall from there. For why I dislike it – check it out  here. Basically it had hollow shells, messy presentation and a very meh filling.

Felici Macarons

Steven Ter Horst Chocolatier
I know Steven Ter Horst has started producing and selling macarons on a regular basis but I haven’t had the wonderful chance of tasting it. However, judging from the fact that my birthday cake this year was this giant beast of a monster right below, I’m sure his macarons taste good. Read about the Entremet Macaron (the macaron cake right below) here.

Steven ter Horst Macaron

Interstate

I’m sorry for the depressing post about Adelaide, but outside Adelaide is quite amazing. Everytime a friend goes interstate I ask them to buy some macarons for me haha.

Adriano Zumbo Pâtissier (Sydney)

My dear friend D went to Sydney and was nice enough to bring some macarons back from Zumbo. I’m surprised D didn’t devour them on the spot and had enough self restraint to bring them back. Needless to say, yes everything you’ve heard about Zumbo is correct. It is absolutely amazing and I can understand why he is crowned the Willy Wonker of desserts. How do you even make a coca-cola flavoured macaron work? He did and I am mind blown!

A trip to Sydney gave me the chance to try Zumbo macarons first hand and I’ve got to say they were as tasty as my first experience – click here to read more.

Adriana Zumbo Dessert Train Macarons

Lindt Chocolat Cafe (Sydney, Melbourne)

Lindt Cafe takes a more traditional approach to their macarons, offering the classical flavours vanilla, rose, salted caramel, chocolate, pistachio and strawberry. I devoured some of them before I took photos, my bad. When C was in Melb he brought me a box of 10 with 6 of them being vanilla flavoured. I’m not complaining, vanilla is my fav.

Lindt Macarons

Vanilla, Rose, Salted Carmel and Chocolate

La Belle Miette (Melbourne)

Daintiest macarons in Melbourne with the prettiest shades of pastel colours. Double thumbs up – click here for my full review.

La Belle Miette Macarons

Luxbite (Melbourne)

Luxbite offers Asian inspired macarons – think oolong tea, jasmine and kopiko flavours. Yum! Such interesting and delicious flavours – check out my visit here.

luxbite macarons

Jean-Pierre Sancho (Perth)

While I was in Perth for an interview, I decided that I would pop down to the very talked about Jean-Pierre Sancho (also a very much needed coffee hit as I arrived at 3AM in the morning due to flight delays).  The macarons were thinner than the ones I’ve eaten before and thus quite crispy which was a great change. It was also reasonably priced at about $2 each. Much cheaper than Adelaide which mystified me as I thought everything in Perth would be more expensive.

Maison Saint-Honoré (Perth)

Perth you do yourself proud with Maison Saint-Honoré – flavours that hit the spot with a not too bad shell (click here to read more).

Maison Saint-Honoré Salted Caramel Macaron

Overseas

Ladurée (Japan)

Ladurée perfects the traditional, classical flavours, they taste quite nice but for me the flavours bored me. To be honest I wanted something with more flare -read my review on Ladurée’s macarons here.

Pierre Hermé (Japan)

This is by far my favourite macaron place – lovely, innovative flavours that will blow your mind. Some people complain that he overstuffs his macarons, what do I think? The more the better! Pierre Hermé – the pioneer of macarons, read about my first post here and my second post here.

Hope you enjoy the post and photos. Feel free to leave some ideas of places to try!

Devour Dessert Bar on UrbanspoonMac Factory on UrbanspoonThe Aviary Dessert Kitchen on UrbanspoonHerbees Cafe on UrbanspoonAdriano Zumbo Pâtissier on UrbanspoonLindt Chocolat Café on UrbanspoonJean Pierre Sancho on Hay Street on UrbanspoonSteven ter Horst Chocolatier on Urbanspoon
Dolce & Co on UrbanspoonFelici Espresso Bar on Urbanspoon

28 comments for “Macarons in Adelaide (and Beyond)

1. Julia
    July 9, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Berny! What a lovely post! I enjoyed reading it! And it was an extensive list too! :D

• July 9, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Thanks Julia :) You know that The Aviary and Herbees Cafe reviews were actually based a bit on our convos :D

2. Priscilla
    July 13, 2012 at 9:32 pm

eee i loved this post because ive heard alot of mixed things about macarons in Adelaide but i havent bothered to try >_< Ive only ever had the Lindt Cafe ones and the Laduree ones and theyre soooooooooooo delish ! When Syd opens a Laduree i hope they have the same impeccable taste cos it would be disappointing if they werent :( Keep up the posts Bernadette! :DD

• July 14, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Thanks pris :D Ahhh I’m so excited for the Laduree one to open in syd (an excuse to visit thuy ;) ). I think there’s already one opened in melb already? I haven’t travelled for so long :(

• Priscilla
        July 16, 2012 at 1:34 am

Hmm i know there was one i really wanted to visit in melbourne but it was easter weekend and they were closed I WAS SO DEVO theyre called La Belle Miette
        And it reminds me of Laduree and they seem highly rated on urbanspoon! Same i havent travelled in so long :( Im hoping maybe interstate in the upcoming months visit thuy haha needa get away from Adelaide!!!

• July 16, 2012 at 4:26 pm

oh nooo, all that travel and it was closed lameeee :( haha oooo have a blast in syd when you go!! take lots of photos, I’ll be so jelly D:

3. August 16, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Awesome post! I love macs. I tried my first in Japan @ Pierre Herme and have been hooked since. One thing that I dislike is that now all places think that they can make/sell these things (e.g. Cibo)

• August 17, 2012 at 11:21 am

Haha omggg I have the Pierre Herme macaron book and it’s amazing, it’s so pretty. I’m dying to go try it out in Japan, will need to suss it out when I’m in Tokyo (I think that’s where it is?) :P I agree with you completely, when the masterchef craze was high people just kept selling all these crappy macarons at such a high price. It was to the point I gave up for a while as I couldn’t take another crap macaron :(

• August 17, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Yes, I believe that it is in Tokyo :) So jealous that you are going to be in Japan….so much more to blog about! Ramen!!

• August 17, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Haha I know I’m so excited, oh dear I’m gonna go crazy with the desserts in Japan! Naw Adelaide has so much to blog about too, I still have so many places I want to write about :)

4. September 20, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Have you tested the macarons from Aux Fines Bouches on Brighton Rd?

• September 20, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Oh I haven’t actually, is it recently opened? How was the place if you tried it? It is gonna go on my eating list for Adelaide :P

5. November 9, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Ohh what a list! If you’re ever willing to critique my macs give me a call! ;)

• November 10, 2012 at 1:52 am

for sure :) when I get back to Adelaide I’m hoping to expand this list XD

6. Thuong
    November 20, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Have you tried the Macarons at Gelatissimo? They are horrible. : I’ve only been to the mac factory once to try them and all other times when I’ve eaten a macaron is from the ones I make myself. You should try the ones I make. :)

• November 20, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Yes I’ve tried them at Gelatissimo once, they were really horrible, I can’t believe ppl actually said they were good >< Oh yes please, I would love to try one of your macarons. They look so good!! Oh wow, they must be so much cheaper when you make it yourself, macarons are so dear to the pocket in Adel ;___;

7. Lisa Latham
    May 14, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Try Frangipani’s Cakes at Reynella in SA – best is the Passionfruit & Blackberry.

• I Only Eat Desserts
      May 15, 2013 at 11:46 am

Will need to :)

8. Jenny
    October 23, 2013 at 5:53 am

Try the macarons at Uncle Albert’s norwood! The stores buys them from an independent pastry chef

• I Only Eat Desserts
      October 23, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Thanks for stopping by and the heads up – will place it onto my macaron to eat list :)

9. Macaron_lover
    November 28, 2013 at 10:27 am

Have you tried Please Say Please? They make excellent macarons!

• I Only Eat Desserts
      November 28, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Thanks for stopping by :) Oh no I haven’t tried them yet but the flavours they have sound so interesting! What are some must try flavours?

• Macaron_lover
        December 8, 2013 at 1:12 pm

They have a new flavour every week, must say, they’re probably the best in Adelaide.

I’m racing in tomorrow morning to try the ‘Gingerbead House’ Macaron, *drools*

Let me know what you think if you try them! :)

• I Only Eat Desserts
          December 9, 2013 at 1:04 am

Oh I just saw a photo of their gingerbread house macaron on their facebook page – loving the look of them :) Thanks for the heads up and will need to try these babies out!

10. February 20, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Wow that is a pretty comprehensive list! Nice post, thanks for making me drool!!

11. February 28, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Great write up and pix! Love the Giant Macaron Cake! I tasted a couple of these last year, and made some of my own too – which was fun. http://slicefoodinsights.com/macarons-au-frenzy/